Monday, June 27, 2011

7 Questions with Kevin MacKenzie of The Hulls


The Hulls (www.facebook.com/thehulls) are the newest Punk sensation in the Elm City. Kevin MacKenzie who finally steps out from behind the drunm kit fronts The Hulls. We recently sat down with Kevin and asked him some questions. Here are some of those Questions.

DHR -I've heard The Hulls described many ways. Some say 70's British style punk, some say Boston Oi Punk. How would you describe The Hulls?

KM - I would describe The Hulls as just a punk rock band. We're not trying to be any style in particular. Personally, my punk rock influences include all of the above and then some. I'm pretty sure the rest of the guys would say the same. Our songs are about things we go through in daily life - work, relationships, etc. I guess we've got that working class band thing because we're all working class guys who have working class jobs. Two of us are union members and the current climate of the country is a really scary thing for us. Especially locally in New Haven: people lose their jobs, education budgets get cut, crime goes up. It's not rocket science. So I guess you could say that's how our politics are shaped. I guess what I'm trying to say is that this band isn't about labels!

DHR -You have been in punk bands in New Haven for a number of years now. Most notably No Image and Disaster Party. What sets The Hulls apart from other bands you have played with?

KM - For me, the biggest difference that sets The Hulls apart from any of the other bands I've been in is that I'm not playing drums! I've been really fortunate that in the last 15 years of playing in bands I've been able to play with friends and have a good time playing the music that we wanted to play. The Hulls are no different. We've all been friends for years and with this band we're playing what we want to play the way we want to play it. We like it and hopefully other people do too. If not, we're still going to do what we do. I'm going to write songs about things that are important to me set to music that sounds good to me. If the guys like it, then that's good enough for me.

DHR - What band(s) are you currently obsessed with at the moment?

KM- "Currently Obsessed"? I've been obsessed with the Swingin' Utters ever since I bought "The Streets of San Francisco" back in 1995 or so. Their new record is amazingly great just like everything else they've ever done, and I've been listening to that a lot lately, so I'll start there.

DHR- The Beatles or The Kinks?

KM - Are The Who an option? No? OK, The Kinks then.

DHR - What do you think the New Haven music scene is missing to make it better than it currently is?

KM - I think the New Haven scene has been missing an all ages venue since the Tune Inn closed. The bar scene is good, but I remember what it was like to be underage and not be able to see bands or play out anywhere because we were underage. I think it would definitely add to the New Haven scene, I'd love to play more all ages shows.

We also need people to come out more to the local shows that are going on in New Haven. I know money's tight for a lot of us these days, but support for local bands is key.

DHR - What local band would you like to join for a day?

KM - Aren't the Defcon Five back together? And last time I checked, there's only four of them. I can play guitar. They can't count. Seems like a match made in punk rock arithmetic heaven.

DHR - What is your favorite record of all time?

KM - Can I give you a top five, in no particular order, that I can listen to at any given moment?

- Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

- The Clash - London Calling

- Black Flag - Damaged

- The Pogues - Rum, Sodomy, & the Lash

- Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde

I could go on and on...


catch Kevin and The Hulls along with Sadplant & Play It Faster at Cafe 9 in New Haven Wednesday July 6th!! 9pm 21+

No comments:

Post a Comment